I took a half day off of work yesterday because I have to use up my vacation time before April 1st or I lose it, and I won't be losing any of it! I drove up to Madison to see Caitlin and Alex, try out Bella Vita, and get a new computer. Two out of the three went just fine, but the last task was the most nerve racking experience I tell ya.
You see, I bought a MacBook when I was in college, and I decided I never could go back to a PC. So, when I got my tax return this year I decided I was going to spend some of it on a new computer. I like the idea of getting a discount, and Apple does just that for students. $100 off a MacBook Pro is a big deal! My plan to pass for a college student got under way.
Well, the easy part is looking the age of a college student, which I can pull off with flying colors - I mean I get asked all the time if I am 19, 21, etc. Done. They then need to see proof that you are indeed a student. I was smart and kept my iCard, which luckily does NOT have an expiration date or issue date or anything to make my story less true. I mean I was a student at the University of Illinois at one time. Done. It also worked out that I could say I was on Spring Break, which I found out only moments before hand when I texted a friend who is in Vet School. I mean if I am going to "fib" I better make it as believable as possible, right?! I never thought being asked my major was a huge deal until yesterday. I have answered that question a million times, but none with the pressure of yesterday. I got it out & did my little explanation of what Agribusiness is. Done.
Caitlin was with me, and at one point she just had to walk away. You see, she bought a Mac back in January and didn't have her new student ID so they had her log into her email account. I was beyond paranoid that this lady was going to ask me to do the same thing. Thank God she did not. Towards the middle when we were just waiting for my computer to arrive from the stock room, I started asking her questions to take the pressure off of me. I learn that she is from Michigan, and went to Calvin College. She begins describing where it is and how small it is, and I stop her because I know excatly where it is and what type of college it is. My church speaks of it often, and my favorite family (a.k.a. the Jongsma's) all went there! Phew, I could start to breathe. Ok, so my computer is within reach. She needs to know the zip code in Champaign. I rack my brain & I remember 61820. Done. But she still proceeded to go to U of I's website. Again, my heart is racing and I can feel my palms getting sweaty. By this time I was happy Caitlin had started to walk around to look at things because she was looking more nervous than me and almost had to walk out of the store all together. I just kept hoping the sales clerk didn't go to the email login screen. She went to contact us, and I could see the zip code I gave her was the correct one. I then asked if she needed Urbana's since the school is technically Urbana-Champaign. She said it should be fine. Done.
Now comes the time to pay for it. She needs to see my license, and I am praying she doesn't look too closely at it - I mean a 24 year old college senior isn't unheard of, but I didn't want to have to "fib" anymore than I was already. Then the dreaded question...what's your email? I wasn't being asked to sign in, so I quickly said well I have a few emails but I like for things like this to go to this account. Done. She swiped my debit card and said I would get an email receipt, which was perfect because I didn't want to stand in that store any longer than I had to. My heart was still racing when she handed me the computer box, but it was accomplished. New computer & at a discount.
I know it isn't good to lie, fib, bend the truth, and I think for my sanity & heart's sake it will be a long time before I attempt anything like that again. I told Caitlin, I think she was suspicious and it would have been much less stressful if a guy were helping me. :)
My new MacBook Pro is beautiful and I am so happy to have a new computer that will last me for a very long time! Moral of the story children: Don't Fib, unless you have a really well thought out plan! ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment